Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Opposites Attract?

So, my dad is exhibiting the character traits that are completely opposite of my mother. He is complaining about the number of guests who will come over for New
Year's. He's complaining about the TV they bought six months ago which went kaput and had to be replaced. He's complaining about my mother saying that everything is "easy". Finally I asked him,"What attracted you to ma?" He stopped for a minute, then grinned.

"If I tell you, you won't believe me." Then he laughed.

"Tell me."

"Las pantorillas." (Her ankles.)

Yes everyone, my father has a thing for thick-ankled women. Apparently, my mother's ankles are perfect.

This is supposed to be a secret.

Anyway, I tried to press him further. I mean, why would he even think to get involved with a 21 year old (as she was when they met...while he would have been 38). Las pantorillas, wasn't a good enough reason in my book. He eventually said that everything about her attracted him.

My mother says the thing that attracted her to my dad was the fact that he was serious. Aha, the very thing that is annoying now!

Anyway, as my vacation continues and my dad continues to complain about various things: my mother does not know how to say no. She makes too many plans. She makes too many commitments. She is too involved with the church. She invites people over to the house too much. She talks on the phone too much. She leaves him alone to do all her church work. She's made too many bourgeois friends through the church. She doesn't read the paper, and thus makes uninformed statements about the political situation in the country...etc...etc...etc... I ask him, "Todavia te gusta las pantorillas?" Do you still like her ankles.

He says, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment