Saturday, April 23, 2011

Entryway redo

So...I don't really open my mail.

Ok, that's a confession.  Well, at least, I didn't used to open my mail.  Not in a timely manner anyway.  Most of it's junk.  Some of it's bills.  Rarely do I get actual correspondence by snail mail.  When I do get a card or a letter (with actual handwriting on the envelope) I definitely open it.  But regular every day mail.  Nuh-uh.

So what happens to it?

I throw it on the floor.  Yep.  And it accumulates.  Into big messy piles.  Unruly piles.  Crazy piles.  And then when I need to find something in that pile, there is a mad frenzy of opening envelopes and throwing stuff away until I find what I was looking for.

This not the most efficient method for mail sorting.

I decided I needed a system.

I thought about this for a long time.

Meanwhile, my entryway hit bottom.

This is bottom.



I had to really think about what it was that I needed.  Why do I throw my mail on the floor anyway?  Because I'm lazy?  Well, yes, but is that all?  I'm always carrying a bunch of stuff.  I'm always coming in the door with a heavy back pack.  And since I have two jobs, and one of them requires me to go to several locations, I'm always unpacking the backpack and throwing everything onto the floor, packing it with what I need for that particular day, then dumping stuff out and scooping stuff up off the floor for the next day.  And then there's aikido.  That blue bag with the gis in it is also on the floor.

I need a place to sit when I come in to look at the mail.  And it would probably be a good idea to have the shredder near by, so I can simply shred those blank checks credit cards companies always send me.  And a place to put my book bag that's easy to get to, and a place for the aikido bag, and a shelf to put the stuff that gets taken out of my book bag one day only to be repacked the next.  Yes.....

After a trip to Ikea...



But that's not all.  There is more.  

Two trips to Ikea.  Much putting together of furniture.  More more more.  

But not now.
Later.

1 comment:

  1. Ange says
    BUT what if there's method to that madness! What if if in all the paper you know exactly where the title to your son's now defunct car is, amid 18 months of unopened water, sewer, gas and electric bills you have paid online. And bank statements you never open or reconcile because the interest surely (SURELY) cancels out the odd ATM fee. I get my mail at the post office and open it right there. There are two bins, one is trash and one is recycle. I only come home with the stuff that logic tells me I DO NOT NEED but some inner voice says save it any way. Anything really important goes to my office to be opened by someone else.

    ReplyDelete